Spinach Salad With Beets, Quinoa and Walnuts
Exciting recipe for a delicious spinach salad with red and chioggia beets, quinoa and walnuts.
The beets and spinach mix very well with the quinoa and walnuts and leave a lasting fresh taste.
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tblsp sherry vinegar
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 small garlic clove (puréed)
- 6 tblsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium or 4 small (red, chioggia) beets (roasted, peeled and cut in small pieces)
- 1 cup cooked red quinoa
- 1 red Belgian endive (thinly sliced crosswise)
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts (1.5 ounces)
- 2 tblsp slivered basil or 1 tblsp chopped tarragon
- 2 ounces blue cheese (crumbled)
- 1 6-ounce bag baby spinach (or 6 ounces stemmed washed bunch of spinach)
- Ground pepper
- Make the dressing. Whisk together the vinegars, salt, mustard and garlic and then whisk in the oil.
- Combine the beets, quinoa, endive, walnuts, basil/tarragon and all but 2 tblsp of the blue cheese in a large bowl.
- Place the spinach in another bowl and add 3 tblsp of the dressing. Line a platter/wide bowl with the spinach. Toss the remaining dressing with the beets and quinoa mixture, arrange on top of the spinach. Grind on some pepper and sprinkle the remaining blue cheese on top. Then toss it all together and serve.
Serves 6 as a side dish!
The New York Times